Accelerated Master's Programs in Engineering

The design of the Accelerated Master’s (AM) degree is for students to take up graduate courses along with their undergraduate courses and requirements as their schedule permits. Students are not encouraged to complete the master’s at the same time as the undergraduate degree. At no time should an undergraduate student be enrolled in more than 50% of graduate level courses for the graduate degree in a single term.


We strongly recommend students to review their course plan with their undergraduate advisor(s) – both faculty and academic – as they become interested in the AM Program and before submitting the application. This will help immensely with the curriculum planning process. Applicants should apply during their sophomore or junior year. Students may submit an application as early as their third semester in the undergraduate degree.

  • The full application must be submitted within the first 14 days of the current semester to be considered for admission into the current semester. Example: if looking for Fall 2023 admission into AM, the student must complete all necessary application requirements, and submit the application, no later than September 12, 2023.
  • After 14 days into the semester, the application will be for admissions into the following semester. Example: if submitting an application on October 1, 2023 or December 13, 2023, those applications will only be eligible for Spring 2024 admission into AM.


Please note:

  • DATS encourages Juniors to apply by either May 15th or December 15th in their junior year. (May 15 is the end of the Spring/start of Summer before a student’s fifth semester or December 15, right at the end of the fifth semester.)
  • IPD requires students to apply in their junior year by the February 1st deadline as IPD admits as a cohort for the following Fall term.
  • CIS, CIT, and CGGT encourages students to apply by August 1st, before the start of the student’s seventh semester.

Application Procedures

  • Complete the Course Planning form electronically in pdf format with all appropriate signatures.
    • Students must complete the form as a pdf and all signatures must be digital or electronically added through pdf software. Forms that have been printed out to write on, have been scanned in, or submitted to the admissions office with emails stating “approved” in lieu of a signature, will all be returned to the student for correction. The completed form is required and must be uploaded to the application in CollegeNet before submitting.  Failure to upload this form with the application or submitting an incomplete form, will result in an incomplete application and it may be rejected.


  • Complete the Accelerated Master’s Application . Additional requirements to be provided with the application:
    • Transcript
    • Resume
    • A two-three page statement of purpose
    • You will also need to provide the email contacts of two professional references. Examples of professional references are a program director, advisor, instructor, internship/lab supervisor or PI, etc.

If you require assistance with the application system, you may contact the Penn Engineering Enrollment Specialist for the program to which you are applying.



  • Must be a Penn undergraduate that entered Penn in Fall 2018 or later.
  • Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required. (BIOT requires a cumulative GPA of 3.5, CIS requires a cumulative GPA of 3.2, and ROBO requires a minimum STEM GPA of 3.2.)
  • Both BSE and BAS degree students in Penn Engineering may apply for the Accelerated Master’s program. Qualified undergraduates in Penn’s other schools may apply for an Accelerated Master’s into any of the Engineering Master’s degree programs, subject to their home school’s rules and regulations.
  • Uncoordinated dual degree students are not eligible for the Accelerated Master’s degree.



  • Students may double count up to 3 CU’s of graduate courses to fulfill both undergraduate and graduate degree requirements. This is subject to approval by both the undergraduate and graduate program chairs/directors.
  • An Engineering student may take a maximum of 3 CU’s at the graduate level prior to matriculation into the Accelerated Master’s (AM) degree. These 3 CU’s must be courses that double count between the undergraduate degree and the master’s degree. Engineering students cannot take more than 3 CU’s to count towards the master’s degree prior to acceptance and matriculation into the accelerated master’s degree.
    Students from outside Engineering should check with their home school on this policy and if they allow any courses to be taken prior to acceptance and matriculation into the AM. (Please note The College does not allow this. If you have questions, please talk with your College Advisor.)
  • No course may be triple counted, i.e. counted for more than two degrees.
  • Cross-listed courses taken at the 4000 level prior to matriculation into the Accelerated Master’s may be used for the graduate degree if the course’s content is identical to its 5000+ level and is cross-listed/multi-level in the term taken by the student. These 4000/5000+ level courses should be used only as one of the three double counted  courses. After matriculation, only 5000+ level courses are allowed.
  • All coursework for the master’s degree must be completed at Penn. Transfer, study abroad, or ‘credit away’ courses are not permitted.
  • Coordinated dual degree students in M&T and VIPER must complete their undergraduate degree in ten semesters to be eligible for the degree.  While there is no penalty for completing your undergraduate degree sooner, you will not be allowed to overload (7/7.5 CUs) to accomplish this.
  • For single degree students, the undergraduate degree must be completed in eight (8) semesters or the student will not be eligible to continue with the Accelerated Master’s degree. Students pursuing a coordinated dual degree program must complete their Engineering Undergraduate degree in ten (10) semesters. If a student wants to continue with the Master’s degree, they will lose the privilege to double count courses and must apply to the master’s program externally, submitting all relevant application materials.
  • At no time should any student be taking more than 4 CU’s of 5000+ level courses in a single term.
  • Students must keep in mind that at no time should an AM student be taking more than 50% of graduate level courses towards the master’s degree during a semester, or students risk having to pay the master’s tuition rate. For example, if a student registers for 5 CU’s in one term and 3 CU’s are 5000+ level counting towards the master’s degree, the student can be charged master’s tuition (from SRFS) on those 3 CU’s. It is important to plan carefully and early in the process so that students can take one or two graduate courses while completing undergraduate course requirements. This will ensure students do not overload graduate level courses in one term.

Please note:

  • Engineering recognizes matriculation into one Accelerated Master’s/submatriculation program across the schools. We do not have a dual-degree Accelerated Master’s/submatriculation programs. Students with any questions should contact the Graduate Engineering Academic team.
  • All financial aid related questions should be referred to SRFS . Find more details on institutional financial aid guidelines here.
  • Applicants are encouraged to accept the offer of admission through CollegeNet within 30 days of the decision release date. If the student chooses not to pursue the Masters Degree after matriculation, they may request to withdraw from the program in Path@Penn.
  • If unable to apply during the student’s undergraduate program, the student can still apply for a Penn master’s program through the regular admissions process as an external applicant following external application rules and requirements.
  • The CollegeNet application system will be closed and not accessible to applicants each June and July for updates. Please plan accordingly.
  • Engineering Online does not allow matriculation into their programs through Accelerated Master’s. Interested students must apply externally to start after completion of the undergraduate degree.
Read More