Engineering Ethics Requirement
NGSS Updates: Course numberings throughout the Undergraduate Student Handbook reflect transition to the new NGSS system (3-digit course numbers have been updated to 4-digit course numbers).
Beginning with the Class of 2017 (those entering in Fall 2013), Penn Engineering students must fulfill the Engineering Ethics requirement. The Ethics Requirement will not necessitate the completion of any additional course units in the existing BAS or the BSE degrees, as the requirement may be double-counted from the student’s SSH course requirements.
The Engineering Ethics requirement can be satisfied by taking EAS 2030 ENGINEERING ETHICS. This course may be used (double-counted) for the “Social Science” requirement as well. Students are strongly encouraged to take the Ethics Requirement course during the sophomore year.
- BE and ASBS students should refer to their eCPG for a list of approved courses.
- CMPE majors should refer to their eCPG for a list of approved courses.
- VIPER students may use VIPR 1200/1210 to satisfy the Engineering Ethics Requirement in any major.
- Starting Spring 2019 and later VIPER students who drop to single degree may fulfill the ethics requirement with VIPR 1200/1210. VIPR 1200/1210 cannot be used in the social science and humanities category.
- CIS 4230/5230 Ethical Algorithm Design can fulfill the engineering ethics requirement for ASCS, BE, CMPE, CSCI, DMD and NETS students only.