Advanced Placement

NGSS Related Updates:  3-digit course numbers that remain may now reflect an inactive course that did not transition to the 4-digit course number.  


Concerns regarding AP Credit and Evaluation should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, 150 Franklin Building, 3451 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104;

Note that students with AP credit who take the equivalent course at Penn forfeit the AP credit. This applies to EAS 0091 (CHEM 091), PHYS 093/094, PHYS 0050/0051, PHYS 0150/0151, and CIS 1100.


Some Penn Engineering curricula require CHEM 1012, 1022 plus the labs. Generally, AP credit is given only for the lecture parts of the courses (students must still enroll in CHEM 1101,1102). However, the chemistry department may grant “waivers” if students present evidence of equivalent lab experience in high school. Penn Engineering accepts these waivers in lieu of the requirement for the chemistry labs. The waivers do not carry academic credit, and students typically have to make up the science credits by taking other courses.

Students with AP credit for EAS 0091* (CHEM 091) are encouraged to take the placement exam(s) for CHEM 1012 and 1022 offered by the Chemistry Department. Students with EAS 0091* (CHEM 091) AP credit, who have not taken (or have not passed) the placement exam for CHEM 1012, may take CHEM 1022. Students with EAS 0091* (CHEM 091) credit may enroll in CHEM 1101 as a stand alone course. Students should be aware that there are situations where specific credit for CHEM 1012 and 1022 is required as for premed students.

Students with a Chemistry score of 6 or 7 on the Higher Level IB exam can be counted toward EAS 091. Please note the Standard Level exam is insufficient.

Please note: *EAS 0091 is for engineering students only.


Most Penn Engineering curricula require PHYS 0150 and/or 0151, which consist of lecture and lab, or PHYS 0140 and/or 0141, which are the lectures only. AP credit for physics is given by the Physics Department. Detailed information can be found at:

MEAM 1100/1470 offered by the Mechanical Engineering Department is the equivalent of PHYS 0150. Students with AP credit in PHYS 0150 should not enroll in MEAM 1100/1470.

EE and CMPE students entering Fall 2023 or earlier:

  • If you have taken ESE 1120, it satisfies the prereq for ESE 2150 and ESE 2180 and counts towards your degree.
  • If you have taken (or have Penn approved credit for) other previously assumed equivalent physics courses (e.g. PHYS 151 or 171) and review the ESE1120 module and pass the module exam, the course will count towards your degree as a natural science requirement. It also will satisfy the prereq for ESE 2150 and ESE 2180.

EE and CMPE students entering Fall 2024 or later:

  • ESE 1120 is mandatory for EE and CMPE students entering Fall 2024 and later.
  • Students transferring into EE or CMPE after their first year can use PHYS 151 or PHYS 171 in place of ESE 1120 once the module is completed and the diagnostics exam is passed. The module and diagnostic exam is only for transfer students. No AP credit will count towards the ESE 1120 requirement.
  • ESE 1120 is a natural science course in place of Phys 151 (or Phys 171)


Penn Engineering students should refer to the University-wide guidance regarding Math AP scores.


For additional AP information, please visit the Office of Admissions website (

*Please note: Red, bolded courses are not currently active. Check with the primary department to confirm course status.