Petition for Action

Deviations from Penn Engineering course requirements and special requests require the submission of a” Petition for Action” form.

All actions require review by the parties noted on the form.  Final submission via the workflow is to the Petitions Committee where a final decision is made.


  • If a substitution for a required engineering or technical elective is requested, a completed Core Sub Form must be submitted to the department for review.
  • Students in single degree programs should address their petitions to their schools. Dual- and joint-degree students should address their petitions for degree requirement exceptions to the school(s) whose degree requirements are affected; in some cases, a petition to both schools will be required. All other petitions for exceptions (e.g. late drop, late add, late withdrawal, late change of grade mode) should be submitted to the home school. Students submitting a Petition for Action requesting late withdrawal from a course must complete the online petition process.