Grading and Grades

The grades assigned in a course are solely the prerogative of the instructor; any student with questions about a particular grade should take their concern directly to the instructor who assigned the grade. Grade changes are submitted electronically by the instructor and are approved by the school before being noted on a student record. The University does not permit grade changes after graduation.

Grading Scale

The grading scale is as follows:

A+ A A- B+ B B- C+ C C- D+ D F
4.0 4.0 3.7 3.3 3.0 2.7 2.3 2.0 1.7 1.3 1.0 0.0


Pass/fail courses are not included in the calculation if the course has been passed; incomplete grades are not included unless they have turned to failures; withdrawals are not included. For each course, one forms the product of the weight times the number of courses units; these products are all summed and divided by the total number of course units.

Failure (F) or Unsatisfactory (U)

A student may not graduate with an uncleared failure or unsatisfactory on their record, and thus failed courses must be cleared by repeating the same course or an equivalent course the next time it is offered. Failed specified courses are made up by repeating the course. If a student wishes to substitute another successfully completed course for the failed or unsatisfactory specified course, they must submit a Petition for Action. A student is not permitted to take a course having as a prerequisite a course which they failed. Failed courses remain on the transcript and are included in the cumulative grade point average even after they have been cleared.

Incomplete Grades (I, NR, GR)

The notation “I”, for Incomplete, may be assigned to the student who has performed well academically all semester, but who, for extenuating reasons, is unable to complete all requirements of the course by the end of the term. The decision to assign the I grade rests with the course instructor. “GR” or “NR” notations indicate no grade was reported by the Instructor. The notation “I”, “GR” or “NR” may remain on the student’s record only until the end of the first month of the semester following the one in which it was given. If the student has not completed their work and if the instructor of the course has not submitted a grade by this time, the “I”, “GR” or “NR” notation will be replaced by an “F” grade on the student’s record. A student may not graduate with an uncleared “I”, “GR” or “NR” on their record.