Withdrawing from a Course

This is similar to dropping a course; however, the course remains on the record with the notation “W” placed in the grade column of the student’s transcript. The “W” is not considered in the computation of the grade point average. Students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science are permitted to “Petition for Withdrawal” from a course until the end of the tenth week of classes (https://srfs.upenn.edu/withdraw-from-a-course).

Students are not permitted to withdraw after the end of the tenth week except in extraordinary circumstances. In such cases, requests for late withdrawal must go through the online petition workflow (Petition for Action) explaining the nature of the extraordinary circumstances.